Homemade Eggnog



I originally posted about this awesome eggnog three years ago on Cooking for Seven. It's still a favorite at Christmastime, so I felt I should share it here on Buttered Side Up.
Our family has always enjoyed a good cup of eggnog at Christmastime. Mom would carefully pour out a small portion and add a bit of milk to make it less rich. We kids would savor the little we got and agree that any more would be too much.
These days I prefer to make my own eggnog. I know exactly which ingredients go into it. And it is such fun to make.


Homemade Eggnog

If you're still not feeling confident about making your own eggnog, head over to the Tasty Kitchen Blog where I share my step-by-step instructions HERE.

By the way, it is VERY important, if you have an instant read thermometer, that you make sure it is set to Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. I once bumped the button by accident and made "scrambled eggnog." Gross.




Homemade Eggnog
Adapted from a recipe from a friend.
Ingredients:
  • 12 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups maple syrup (or granulated sugar)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 quarts (8 cups) whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg + more for garnish
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
Directions:
1) In heavy 4 quart saucepan, off heat, whisk the eggs, maple syrup, and salt until well blended. Gradually stir in half of the milk.
2) Cook over low hear, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 25 minutes
(mixture should be about 170 – 175 degrees F). Do not boil.
3) Pour custard in a large bowl. Stir in vanilla extract, 1 Tsp. ground nutmeg and remaining milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
4) Just before serving, in a medium bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. With wire whisk, gently fold whipped cream into custard mixture. Serve with extra whipped cream on top and a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Makes about 16 cups or 32 – 1/2 cup servings

6 comments

  1. Oh yummy. This just what I needed for this weekend. Got some friends from my hometown coming to visit and they tend to like eggnog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks perfect! I made eggnog this weekend and it totally made it feel like the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had "make homemade egg nog" on my Christmas to-do list for years and never attempted it. This will be the year, and I will use your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 170 degrees is way too high. mine thickened at 140

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I think mine usually begins to thicken sooner than 170, but I'm such a chicken when it comes to cooking eggs. I need to be braver! :D

      Delete