How to Make Mocha | His and Hers




How to Make Mocha
How to Make Mocha
How to Make Mocha
How to Make Mocha
How to Make Mocha
How to Make Mocha

I don't remember the first time I tasted a mocha. It was probably at a Starbucks or Caribou Coffee when I was 18 or so. In general I am nonplussed about most chain coffee drinks, but, if my memory serves me well, I believe that I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't extremely sweet like most specialty drinks. The flavors of the coffee and chocolate meld almost seamlessly.

I also can't remember the first time I made my own mocha, but I have made many since. Not gonna lie: it isn't the simplest coffee drink you'll ever make. But if you're already in love brewing your own lattes, the only extra steps are stirring in chocolate and adding whipped cream. If you're having a relaxed morning/afternoon, I highly suggest going to the extra effort to try this out.

I have included two ingredient lists: one that's milder and sweeter and one that's more intense. Reuben enjoys his coffee soft and sweet, I like mine with a bit of a bite. You can always experiment with the sweetener/milk levels until you get it just how you like it.


Notes:
  • This recipe is for an 8 ounce mug. You could use a larger one, but it won't be full.
  • You can use either cold or fresh espresso. If you decide to use cold, make sure that your milk is piping hot.
  • I like to use my little milk frother (I got mine at IKEA) to whip my cream. I can't be bothered with dragging out ANOTHER piece of equipment. 
  • This recipe calls for unsweetened cocoa powder, but you could also use chocolate syrup for a smoother consistency. Make sure you leave out or cut down on the maple syrup if you do.
  • I actually don't use a recipe most of the time when I make a mocha: I make it up as I go. Think of this recipe as a starting place and customize to your liking!
  • My preferred coffee maker is the Aeropress. Of course if you're all set up with an espresso maker you can make your espresso and froth your milk using your machine. Lucky you. 






How to Make a Caffe Mocha
recipe by Erica Kastner
makes one 8-ounce serving

His:
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons half and half
2 teaspoons cocoa powder (I used cacao powder)
1/2 oz espresso, fresh or cold
1/2 ounce maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Hers:
3/4 cup half and half
3 teaspoons cocoa powder
4 teaspoons espresso, fresh or cold
2 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Directions:

1) Place your half and half in a small pan and heat until steamy. 

2) Meanwhile, place your cocoa powder in your favorite mug. Pour in half of the espresso. Stir until you have a fairly thick, very smooth mixture. This could take a bit of time. Stir in the remaining espresso, then the maple syrup and vanilla extract. 

3) Froth the hot milk using a handheld milk frother. Slowly pour the frothed milk into your mug. Whip your cream in a small bowl or cup with the milk frother until it's softly whipped. Spoon over your mocha. Enjoy!




How to Make Mocha

9 comments

  1. It looks from the hands photo that a certain little girl might want to try a sip of mocha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely going with the "hers" in this one. Coffee needs to slam me or it's not good coffee. :P I prefer to use an Italian Bialetti for my espresso. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Someone else who enjoys less sweet coffee. :) I have a Bialetti as well. It seems that it makes a much more bitter coffee than the Aeropress. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to try this! It looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely need to try my hand at both recipes.. I have shockingly never made my own mocha from scratch before and think it's something I need to do asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try this out with skim milk. Looks fantastic and comforting. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete