A Pretty Failure + Other Things




A Pretty Failure: Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal

A Pretty Failure: Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal

A Pretty Failure: Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal

I really wanted to like this recipe, guys. When I read the words "Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal," I was certain that this was something that I wanted to eat for breakfast AND dessert. But with my first bite I thought, "This isn't sweet enough." And with subsequent bites: "I don't think there's enough salt."

Reuben agreed that it just wasn't that good.

But I really liked the photos. I was able to capture some steam, and I think it LOOKS like something I would like to eat. Ah well.



Katelyn's Seniors

On a happier note, I took my lovely sister's senior portraits. You can see more photos on my personal blog.




Pear Jam

I made pear jam using my Peach Jam Recipe as a base, leaving out the lemon juice (I didn't have any on hand).



Caramel Corn

Caramel Corn! Om nom nom. I'll have to share my recipe with y'all sometime...



Fall in Northern Minnesota
Fall is in full swing here in northern Minnesota. I really need to stop mentioning to Reuben how much I love fall - I'm sure I'm starting to sound like a broken record.



Have you had any failures or successes in the kitchen lately?


6 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, I want to share, but I also want to perfect the recipe first. :)

      Delete
  2. This is so funny, because I just made pumpkin baked oatmeal using your simple baked oatmeal recipe! We LOVE that recipe and for a long time I made it every Saturday. When I got my hands on my first pumpkin two weeks ago, I couldn't find a recipe I trusted to turn out like that one, so I decided to wing it. I can't remember exactly, but basically I used the 'simple baked oatmeal' recipe and added a generous amount of pumpkin pie spice and probably a cup of pumpkin. I may have cut back the milk a bit, and I use raw honey for my sweetener (only because it's cheaper than maple syrup). It's also ironic because I usually cut back the honey too much and wish it was sweeter, but this time I knew it needed to be nice and sweet so I used the full amount...but it was almost too sweet! Maybe the pumpkin added some sweetness too. I wish I remembered exactly what I did, but YOU already have the perfect recipe, so don't give up! What I love about your recipe is that it has some bite to it and is cooked but not too soft and mushy - I love baking it till it's a bit crusty and golden on top. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - funny that we had the same idea! Yeah, I really like the simple baked oatmeal recipe; I thought the pumpkin pie baked oatmeal looked pretty similar, but I guess the addition of pumpkin just messes with the flavor. I'd like to try again with more spices, sweetener and salt, but I'm afraid of ruining more good ingredients. Oh well, guess I should stick to plain baked oatmeal and pumpkin pie bars. :)

      Delete
  3. Pumpkin is an odd bird to cook with! There are so many ideas about cooking it and then even more ideas about what it will taste of, and anticipation based upon emotional response to event tied to the word Pumpkin Pie. I will often substitue butternut or delicata squash when I first try a recipe calling for pumpkin, so that I can truly taste it and then, possibly amend it. I have found that adding ginger moves the palate away from pie-like expectations and also provides mouthfeel and layers of texture in the squashes used(including pumpkin).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I join in on the broken record? :) Fall is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete