Guacamole


Guacamole
Guacamole
Guacamole
Guacamole
Guacamole
Guacamole
Guacamole
Does anyone else always think of the Rhett and Link song whenever they make guacamole? No? Just me? Well, it ensures that I will never misspell guacamole.

Guacamole wasn't something that I grew up on. I can't remember who first introduced us to the amazingly creamy and flavorful snack. Once I started making it, I was addicted. 

My recipe is pretty simple - no frills. I've been making the same one for over 5 years. If tomatoes are your thang, go ahead and add some. You can also customize the heat and other spices. If you aren't big on cilantro, cut back a bit. My point: taste as you go and make it your own.

By the by, I love my garlic twist. You can use it to mince small amounts of onion as well as garlic.




The Best Guacamole Recipe
makes about 6 servings | Printable Page

Ingredients:
  • 3 medium, ripe avocados, preferably Haas
  • 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
  • 1 medium garlic clove, minced
  • 1 small jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced (I usually leave this out since Reuben doesn't like heat)
  • 2 tablespoons – 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 1/4 – 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
  • 1 – 2 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste
Directions:
1) Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and score with a knife in several places both lengthwise and crosswise. Use a spoon to remove the flesh into a medium-sized bowl.
2) Add the remaining ingredients to the avocados. Mash lightly with a potato masher or fork and stir until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. For best flavor, allow the ingredients to meld: press a piece of plastic wrap onto the guacamole and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Guacamole
And, just for fun, here is the neon-green photo I posted on Cooking for Seven 5 years ago, complete with watermark. Ha!

Note: Some links are affiliate. All opinions are my own and I would never share a product with you guys that I haven't already tested unless otherwise stated.

3 comments

  1. Yes, guacamole is SO SO good. I have four avocados in my fridge right now that need tending to... :D Let me know how you like the cumin and garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could LIVE on guacamole. I love it on chips. I love it on toast. The best part is, my kids don't like it. No sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Score! Have you ever tried Guacamole Grilled Cheese? It is so so good.

      Delete