Perfect Pumpkin Pie



Pumpkin Pie - Buttered Side Up
Pumpkin Pie - Buttered Side Up
Pumpkin Pie - Buttered Side Up
Pumpkin Pie - Buttered Side Up
Pumpkin Pie - Buttered Side Up
Pumpkin Pie - Buttered Side Up

Call me massively boring, but pumpkin is my favorite of the Thanksgiving pies. Of course I love my share of blueberry, apple, banana, and coconut (I could go on. I adore pie.), but I always reserve a spot on my plate for a slice of pumpkin.

Maybe I love it so much for the simple reason that it is so iconic. Or perhaps because it isn't overly sweet like some pies (I'm thinking of YOU, pecan pie). Or its smooth texture and spicy flavors. It's just so satisfying. 

If you've never made a pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin (as opposed to canned), I urge you to give it a try. Ree Drummond has an excellent tutorial for how to oven roast pumpkins for puree. I've used it twice already this year.  I really think it makes a huge difference in the flavor of your pie.

This recipe (from Ree's new cookbook) took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. But the flavors and texture were spot on. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: PIE CRUST HATES ME. Yes, this one happened to turn out quite well in the end. but not before leaving some of its butter on the bottom of my oven to smoke up the house. Ah well, I'll perfect my crust making skills someday.

What's your favorite Thanksgiving pie?





Perfect Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1 unbaked pie crust
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
  • 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk, homemade or canned
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • pinch of ground nutmeg
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice or sweetener of choice

Directions:
1) Roll out your pie crust and place it in a 9-inch pie pan. Crimp the edges or decorate as desired. Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 C).
2) Place all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until nice and smooth. Pour into the prepared pie crust and slip into your preheated oven.
3) Bake for 15 minutes at 425, then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 C). Bake for an additional 40-50 minutes, or until the filling isn't wet, but still moves a bit in the middle when jiggled. If the crust is getting too brown for your liking you can always cover it with tin foil or a crust shield
4) Cool the pie and serve cold or at room temperature, whichever you prefer. Whipped cream is a MUST. 






Pumpkin Pie - Buttered Side Up

22 comments

  1. This definitely does look perfect! Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - pumpkin is the best and I love ALL pie. I do struggle with pie crust, but I adore pie, so I figure I'll have to get better because I'm not going to stop making pies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the exact recipe I use - how good is condensed milk?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you mention sweetener of choice, does white granulated sugar work? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that would work, though it won't have the same depth of flavor. The original recipe called for brown sugar.

      Delete
  5. how can you call this a pie from scratch if you're using a pre-made pie crust... stoops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I made the crust from scratch! I didn't have great results from the recipe I used (the crust melted in the oven), so I didn't include the recipe. You can do a quick Google search and find a highly rated recipe, I'm sure, or just use your favorite crust recipe! Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  6. Looks great. Can't wait! I'm gonna try brown sugar. "Homemade" is a relative word. To me, it can mean you assemble the ingredients ( which can include store bought crusts, biscuits,etc.) and bake it yourself. Anonymous may be a purists but homemade isn't the same as "from scratch". And you only called it "perfect" and it certainly looks that! I love the little finger dent and all your photos. This is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ca me semble excellent, il faut absolument que je tente cette recette !!

    Sinon mon dessert préféré pour les fêtes de fin d'année : la brioche des rois

    Et la tarte au citron meringuée

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! I love all pies but pumpkin is a favorite followed by cherry. As my Mom and I would say you're pie crust is fine - it's rustic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, love that! "It's rustic." -- I'll have to remember that. :D

      Delete
  9. Oh, my goodness, this is a "secret" too good to keep for a simple pie crust. Really it is! Got this as a newlywed 40 years ago (I'd been in tears over pie crust before this recipe) and you must have it, too! It only works for a single-crust pie, the bottom crust. You'll see why:
    1 1/2 c flour
    1/2 c vegetable oil (NOT olive oil)
    2T Milk or water
    dash salt

    Measure all ingredients into 9" pie pan. Mix with fork. When blended, press into shape with fingers, going up the sides of pan.
    It's really that easy! This crust is actually flaky (not like the cardboard ones you get with frozen pies). It works for single-crust pies, like lemon meringue, pumpkin, Dutch apple (crumb topping).


    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy Orr, can't wait to try your pie crust recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did it before and I'm doing it again for thanksgiving.... this recipe is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant "glad" -- I'm typing with a Band-aid. :)

      Delete
  12. I used this recipe and combined the baking and decorating technique from "i am baker" and baked it in a springform pan. Then I covered the entire pie (top and sides) with Cool Whip rosettes. It was the best pie ever!...and I usually prefer cake over pie. But this recipe with sweetened condensed milk instead of the usual evaporated milk used in pumpkin pie recipes made for the creamiest pie. It even impressed my picky chef family members...and we have quite a few professional chefs in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are seriously some of the most beautiful I've seen. Seriously. What a beautiful pie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What did YOU use for 1/2 cup sweetener of choice? I'm not creative at all and I want to make sure it's the best pumpkin pie ever haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used evaporated cane juice.

      Delete
    2. Here is the brand of evaporated cane juice that I use often: http://amzn.to/1zstiHg

      I think that brown sugar would work very well. I would recommend using 1/2 cup.

      Thank you - I love including photos of my little girly. :)

      Good luck with your pie baking, and hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete