Homemade Chili Powder Recipe




Chili Powder | Buttered Side Up
As I've mentioned before, I first started getting interested in health when I was a teen. I was passionate about recreating "junk food" with healthy ingredients. My sister and I would fry our own potato chips in coconut oil. I would bake desserts, but substitute whole wheat flour and natural sweeteners.

Making my own spice mixes was a pretty obvious choice. If you read the label on the ones found at the supermarket, they often contain MSG or mystery "spices" - which could be MSG in disguise. 



Chili Powder | Buttered Side Up
It's so easy to whip up a batch of homemade spices. And they will most likely be fresher than the premade variety.

Also, I try to source ingredient spices. I'm slowly converting my pantry...

This recipe is for a mild chili powder. It may still be too spicy if you are very sensitive to heat; you can simply decrease or leave out the cayenne pepper. If your prefer a spicier chili powder, increase the amount of cayenne pepper.




Mild Chili Powder
PRINT

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 2 tablespoons oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Shake well before using.



2 comments

  1. Whaaaaaat? I'm fairly health conscious too, but I didn't MSG was likely sitting in my spice blends. This is disheartening, but I guess I'll just start making my own. I didn't even know chili powder had so many ingredients! Thank you!

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's so sad that companies put it in spices, and even more sad that they try to hide it.

      Delete