Easiest Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream



Vanilla Bean Ice Cream | Buttered Side Up
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream | Buttered Side Up
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream | Buttered Side Up
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream | Buttered Side Up

The other night, my family invited my sister's and my family over for a breakfast supper to enjoy their freshly-boiled maple syrup. My sister called me up and said, "I'll make the apple crisp if you make the ice cream." Deal.

Now, in a situation like this, when you're required to make ice cream in an afternoon (I didn't know until about two or three that this was going to be a thing), you definitely do NOT have time to cook up a custard and get it down to bone-cold temperature for churning. Thankfully, you can still make an awesome homemade ice without a custard base

All that's required is mixing all of the ingredients together and churning. BOOM. Ice cream in 30 minutes.
It's dangerous knowledge. 

By the way, if you're a big fan of homemade ice cream, you need a good ice cream maker. I love my Cuisinart. I'm sure it's not as nice as the fancy built-in-freezer kind, but it's less than a third of the price. Also, I'm considering buying a second freezer bowl so I can make MORE ice cream at a time.


Note: If you're looking for the creamiest possible ice cream, I would go for a cooked custard (I'll have to share a recipe sometime). However, if you're pressed for time or just don't feel like standing over a hot stove, this ice cream is still fabulous.



Easiest Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
recipe adapted from the booklet that came with my mixer | makes about 7 cups | Printable Page

Ingredients:

Directions:
1) In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes; you can use a hand mixer or an old fashioned whisk. Stir in the cream, vanilla, and vanilla beans.
2) Pour the ice cream mixture into your mixer and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Scrape into a freezer-safe container and freezer until desired firmness is achieved. 



Note: Links are affiliate. All opinions are my own. I would never recommend something to you guys that I don't like.

6 comments

  1. Noooooooo! You make your own maplesyrup??! Wowsers, If only I could make that too! I've been pondering about if I would be able to make Birchtreesyrup when I go up to our summerhouse in Sweden first week in June but don't know if it'll be too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family has been doing it since I was about two years old (or maybe younger?). I've always loved the process. What is the weather like where you live? I have no idea if birch sap runs like maple, but for maple it needs to be above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. I'm sure you know that already. :) Now I want to go and research birch syrup harvesting...

      Delete
  2. My parents made birch syrup on their ranch before I was born (or at least before I remember it). I'd love to taste it as a grown-up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading that is has a slightly spicy flavor - is that so? I'd love to taste is sometime as well...

      Delete
  3. I love homemade ice cream. sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - you can customize to how you like it. :D

      Delete